South Goa Travel Information
Imagine the beauty of swaying palm trees, beaches, magnificent churches, interesting cities and spirited nightlife, then make plans to visit Southeren part of Goa. South Goa is one of the two districts that make up Goa, the smallest, but most visited state in India. From the Dabolim Airport to Karnataka, HomeAway.in makes it easy to find places to stay in South Goa near many things to do.
South Goa guest houses often offer modern amenities, including internet connection, television and DVD players, and kitchens will let you easily prepare meals for your family when it’s convenient. Homestay accommodations let you enjoy the peace, privacy and freedom of having a private holiday home. Your guest house host may have recommendations for local sights, restaurants and culture in the area.
Things to do in South Goa on Holiday
Goa is known not just for its beaches and pubs, but for a rich cultural heritage also. The architecture blends influences from historic British and Portuguese occupation and reveal Goa’s importance in history. Today, travellers enjoy the wide selection of restaurants and bars. You’ll find the pace of life here is relaxed - laid back. Come to South Goa to take your time, enjoy the culture at your own pace, and treat yourself at one of the local day spas.
Top 10 places to visit in South Goa from a holiday guest house
- Temples in South Goa – Numerous temples in Goa. You will enjoy the intricate carvings and delicate sculptures.
- Palolem Beach – A stunningly beautiful beach where you can do a number of water-based activities.
- Cabo De Rama Fort – The fort is named after Lord, Rama and is located in the southern most part of South Goa. It is believed that the lord stayed here with his wife, Sita during their 14 year exile.
- Cotigao Wildlife Santuary – Watch the wildanimals in their natural habitat and be thrilled.
- Bhagwan Mahaveer Sanctuary And Mollem National Park – Some of the indigenous flora and fauna is found in these forests.
- Dona Paula Beach – An idyllic spot where you can relax and sunbathe.
- Baga Beach – A very popular beach, you will get all the privacy that you need here. It neat, clean and well-maintained.
- Vaso De Gama – It was one of the major sea ports in India. It was also where the Portuguese first landed in India.
- Se Cathedral – It is one of the oldest churches in whole of Goa, built in 1562. The church is also famous for its huge golden bell.
- Museum of Christian Art – The first museum in Asia where you will find interesting and educative Christan art.
Best time to travel to South Goa for holiday
South Goa is dotted with a number of tranquil beaches, and some seasons are the prime time to enjoy the sun on a beach holiday. Between mid-October and mid-March is optimal with picturesque landscapes, sun-kissed beaches and the colourful skies. March through May are warmest and most humid. December is another ideal time to visit beautiful South Goa as the region prepares for carnivals, fairs and Christmas celebrations. Join in with food, drink, and fun and frolic, as the shops, houses and streets are decked with decorations. Plan a Goan shopping expedition, and bring home a little of Goa from your holiday travels.