Travelling in India
India is a thriving travel destination, with millions of people touring parts of the country each year. People from around the world find the country magical - an enchanting sort of place, and it rubs off on them each time they visit. Whether you are planning a holiday in India in a familiar destination or discovering a new place, finding accommodation in self-catering villas is the best way to experience local culture and to relax on holiday. Staying in a guest house homestay offers both luxury and affordability, and HomeAway.co.in makes it easy to sort guest house options by location and price. A homestay in India will be the start of an unforgettable holiday.
Read more holiday ideas in India
What to Do on Holiday in India
India offers something for every kind of traveller: Adrenaline packed adventures, sighseeing in temples and mosques, unique eateries and markets, a variety of architecture, culture and history, plus water sports and beach relaxation.
There is always something new to discover from Jammu and Kashmir to the tip of Kovalam. You are going to be awestruck by the magnificent buildings, mountains and valleys that the country is replete with. The majestic Himalayan slopes, the trekking routes along Ladakh, Jammu and Kashmir, and the tranquil and expansive beaches in Kerala are all set to hypnotize you. Combine them all with a sprinkling of yoga and meditation and you have all the ingredients for a rejuvenating holiday.
Top 10 Places to Visit in India
- Jammu and Kashmir – Also called the Paradise On Earth – is beauty personified.
- Rishikesh – Has a deep cultural and historical significance
- Goa – Though the smallest state in the country, Goa is rightfully called The Gods’ Heaven on Earth.
- Hampi in Karnataka – The ruins in Hampi are an architectural splendor.
- Mysore – A city filled with magnificent buildings
- Kerala – Is God's own country. This superlative doesn't even do justice to the true beauty of the district.
- Rajasthan The land where the royals used to live in divine splendor.
- Jaipur – Rajasthan’s capital, called the Pink City, is famous for its coral-colored buildings and bazaar shopping.
- Amritsar – The spiritual centre of Sikhs
- Haridwar – This breathtaking city is also called the Gateway to God, with many temples.
Best Time to Travel in India for Holiday
India experiences both hot, humid summers and cold winters in different regions. There are three main seasons in India – summer, monsoon and winter. The peak season to visit India is between October and March. If you are enthralled by the captivating beauty of Himalayas then you can enjoy it in its full glory during the December-to-February period. To visit Delhi, Agra, Amritsar and Rajasthan you will have to make it during the October to March period. The eastern part of India is ideal from October to March. The southern part of India, mainly Chennai, will be its best during the June to August period. Kerala is good from November through April. Mumbai and Goa will be decked in its best attire from October to May.